General Walk Around Inspection
Walk around and inspect.
- Clean all lights, reflectors and glass as you go along. Left
- Driver’s door glass should be clean
- Door latches or lock work properly.
- Left front wheel. - Condition of wheel and rim — missing, bent,
broken studs, clamps, lugs, any signs of misalignment. - Condition
of tires — properly inflated, valve stem and cap ok, no serious
cuts, bulges, tread wear. - Use wrench to test rust streaked lug
nuts, indicating looseness. - Hub oil level ok, no leaks.
- Left front suspension. - Condition of spring, spring hangers,
shackles, u-bolts. - Condition of shock absorber(s). - Condition
of air bags. • Left front brake. - Condition of brake drum. -
Condition of hoses.Front • Condition of front axle.
- Condition of steering system. - No loose, worn, bent, damaged
or missing parts. - Must grab steering mechanism to test for looseness.
- Condition of windshield. - Check for damage and clean if dirty.
- Check windshield wiper arms for proper spring tension. - Check
wiper blades for damage, “stiff” rubber, and make sure they are
- Lights and reflectors. - Parking, clearance and identification
lights clean, operating and proper color (amber at front). - Reflectors
clean and proper color (amber at front). - Right front turn signal
light clean, operating, and proper color (amber or white on signals
facing forward). Right Side • Right front: check all items as
done on left front.
- Primary and safety cab locks engaged (if cab-over-engine design).
- Right fuel tank(s). - Securely mounted, not damaged or leaking.
- Fuel crossover line secure. - Tank(s) contain enough fuel. -
Cap(s) on and secure.
- Condition of visible parts. - Rear of engine — not leaking.
- Transmission — not leaking. - Exhaust system — secure, not leaking,
not touching wires, fuel or air lines. - Frame and cross members
— no bends, cracks. - Air lines and electrical wiring — secured
against snagging, rubbing, wearing. - Spare tire carrier or rack
not damaged (if so equipped). - Spare tire and/or wheel securely
mounted in rack. - Spare tire and wheel adequate (proper size,
Cargo securement (trucks).
- Cargo properly blocked, braced, tied, chained, etc.
- Header board adequate, secure (if required).
- Side boards, stakes strong enough, free of damage, properly
set in place (if so equipped)
- Canvas or tarp (if required) properly secured to prevent tearing,
billowing or blocking of mirrors.
- If oversize, all required signs must be safely and properly
mounted and all required permits in driver’s possession.
- Curbside cargo compartment doors securely closed, latched/
locked, required security seals in place.
- Right/Left Rear
Condition of wheels and rims -no missing, bent, broken spacers,
studs, clamps, lugs.
Condition of tires -properly inflated, valve stems and caps OK,
no serious cuts, bulges, tread wear, tires not rubbing each other
and nothing stuck between them.
- Tires same type, e.g., not mixed radial and bias types.
- Tires evenly matched (same sizes). • Wheel bearing/seals not
- Suspension. - Condition of spring(s), spring hangers, shackles
and U-bolts - Axle secure. - Powered axle(s) not leaking lube
(gear oil). - Condition of torque rod arms, bushings. - Condition
of shock absorber(s). - Condition of air bags. - If retractable
axle equipped, check condition of lift mechanism, if air powered
check for leaks.
- Brakes. - Condition of brake drum(s). - Condition of hoses
- look for any wear due to rubbing.
- Lights and reflectors. - Side-marker lights clean, operating
and proper color (red at rear, others amber). - Side-marker reflectors
clean and proper color (red at rear, others amber). Rear
- Lights and reflectors. - Rear clearance and identification
lights clean, operating and proper color (red at rear). - Reflectors
clean and proper color (red at rear). - Taillights clean, operating
and proper color (red at rear). - Right rear turn signal operating,
and proper color (red, yellow, or amber at rear).
- License plate(s) present, clean and secured
- Splash guards present, not damaged, properly fastened, not
dragging on ground or rubbing tires
- Cargo secure (trucks). - Cargo properly blocked, braced, tied,
chained, etc. - Tailboards up and properly secured. - End gates
free of damage, properly secured in stake sockets. - Canvas or
tarp (if required) properly secured to prevent tearing, billowing
to block either the rearview mirrors or to cover rear lights.
- If over-length or over-width, make sure all signs and/or additional
lights/flags are safely and properly mounted and all required
permits are in driver’s possession. - Rear doors securely closed,
latched/locked. Left Side
- Check all items as done on right side, plus: - Battery (if
not mounted in engine compartment). - Battery box securely mounted
to vehicle. - Box has secure cover. - Battery(s) secured against
movement. - Battery(s) not broken or leaking - Fluid in battery(s)
at proper level (except maintenance-free type). - Cell caps present
and securely tightened (except maintenance-free type). - Vents
in cell caps free of foreign material (except maintenance-free
Check Signal Lights
Get In and Turn Off Lights.
- Turn off all lights.
- Turn on stop lights (apply trailer hand brake, or have a helper
put on the brake pedal).
- Turn on left turn signal lights. Get Out and Check Lights.
- Left front turn signal light clean, operating and proper color
(amber or white on signals facing the front).
- Left rear turn signal light and both stop lights clean, operating
and proper color (red, yellow, or amber). 7. Start the Engine
and Check Brake System Get In Vehicle.
- Turn off lights not needed for driving.
- Check for all required papers, trip manifests, permits, etc.
- Secure all loose articles in cab (they might interfere with
operation of the controls, or hit you in a crash).
Start the engine.
- Test For Hydraulic Leaks. If the vehicle has hydraulic brakes,
pump the brake pedal three times. Then apply
firm pressure to the pedal and hold for five seconds. The pedal
should not move. If it does, there may be a leak or other
problem. Get it fixed before driving. If the vehicle has air brakes,
see the checks described here.
- Test Parking Brake
- Fasten seat belt.
- Allow vehicle to move forward slowly.
- Apply parking brake.
- If it doesn’t stop vehicle, it is faulty; get it fixed.
- Test Service Brake Stopping Action
- Go about five miles per hour.
- Push brake pedal firmly
- “Pulling” to one side or the other can mean brake trouble.
- Any unusual brake pedal “feel” or delayed stopping action can
This completes the pretrip inspection.
If you find anything unsafe during the pretrip inspection, have
Federal and state laws forbid operating an unsafe vehicle.