The Commercial Drivers License (CDL)



You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles.

. All single vehicles with a manufacturer's weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more

. All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, if the gross weight rating of the combined vehicle(s) is 26,001 pounds or more

. All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver). (Private, church, buses.)

All vehicles that carry placarded amounts of hazardous materials (see following section on exemptions).

Occasional drivers are also required to apply for a CDL and all appropriate endorsements. For example: Mechanics or truck sales people who test drive on a public roadway

These vehicles are divided into three classes, A, B, and C. To determine what class of CDL you need, follow the links to the questions.

A higher class CDL allows you to drive vehicles in any of the lower classes provided you have the correct endorsements.

There are three types of Commercial Driver's Licenses, Class "A", Class "B", and Class "C". To see if you need a Commercial Driver's License, and what class, answer the questions and follow the links.

Do you drive a Combination Vehicle?


In addition to a CDL, drivers may need special endorsements if they:
  • drive passenger carrying vehicles, (buses);
  • pull double or triple trailers
  • drive tank vehicles ; or
  • haul placarded hazardous materials .



You can click on the safety tips for more information.

For the UPDATED Practice Quizzes click Here




HOME E-Mail Us Sign Our Guestbook..... .

This site is meant to enhance your learning of the Rules of the Road and is not intended to replace the Drivers Manual supplied by the Motor Vehicle Department of your State. Send mail to web master with questions or comments about this web site.

Copyright 1998 GoLocalnet Last modified: July 1, 1999