Wishes to thank you for visiting.
If you want to take practice tests that give you a score click here for a road sign test then continue on to
our practice quiz section. Here you will find ten scoring tests that are a sample of what you will experience
when you take the real test.
Again, we thank you for your visit, we hope you come again and would really appreciate it if you told your friends about us.
Here is a printable list of the questions. (You may have to right click and print the frame only) Are you ready to take practice tests that give you a score?
Q&A Study Method
These questions are the most commonly asked question on Learners Permit Tests.
Common Drivers Permit Test Questions
If you wish to print the questions you may do so from here.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT TRAFFIC CONTROL (11)
1. A regulation sign is usually what shape?
White rectangles with black lettering or symbols.
2. What is the usual color and shape of a warning sign?
Yellow and diamond shaped with black lettering or symbols.
3. What color and shape is a destination sign?
Green with white letters and symbols.
4. What must you do at a STOP sign?
Come to a FULL STOP, yield the right of way to vehicles and pedestrians in or approaching the intersection. GO when it is safe. (RED with white letters. )
5. What color and shape is a railroad crossing warning sign?
Yellow with black letters and "X" symbol.
6. What would you do when facing each of the following: a flashing red light, flashing yellow light, steady yellow light, a red light with a green arrow?
FLASHING RED - The same as a stop sign, Stop, yield the right of way, go when it is safe.
FLASHING YELLOW - Drive with caution.
STEADY YELLOW - Prepare to stop for red light.
RED LIGHT WITH GREEN ARROW - Stop, do not go until light is green, but you may go in the direction of the arrow if the way is clear.
7. What does it mean if an edge line slants in toward the center of the road?
The road is narrower ahead.
8. What do each of these types of lines mean: single broken, single solid, double solid, solid and broken together?
Single Broken - passing permitted
single solid - passing or lane change permitted only if obstructions or conditions require it.
Double Solid - must stay in lane, no passing
solid and broken together - solid side - no passing.....broken side - passing permitted.
9. if an Intersection has crosswalk lines but no STOP line, where would you stop for a red light at that intersection?
Before entering the crosswalk lines.
10. What type of pavement marking is used to show you which lane you must use for a turn?
11. Which of the following must you obey over the other three; STEADY RED LIGHT, FLASHING RED LIGHT, STOP SIGN, POLICE OFFICER?
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT INTERSECTIONS AND TURNS (11)
12. What is the hand signal for a stop? A right turn?
STOP left arm down
RIGHT TURN left arm up
13. If two drivers enter an intersection from opposite directions at the same time, one going straight, the other turning left, which must yield the right of way?
the driver turning left
14. If you enter an intersection to make a left turn, but oncoming traffic prevents you from making the turn right away, what should you do?
yield to oncoming traffic , keep wheels straight, turn when safe.
15. If you reach an uncontrolled intersection at the same time as a driver on your right, and both of you are going to go straight, who has the right-of-way?
the other driver as he is on your right.
16. What must you do if you are entering a road from a driveway?
Stop and yield the right of way to pedestrians and traffic.
17. You are facing a green light, but traffic on the other side of the intersection would keep you from going all the way through the intersection, May you enter the intersection?
no, you may not enter until you can get through to the other side.
18. Does a vehicle about to enter a traffic circle or rotary have a right of way over vehicles already in the circle?
no the vehicles in the circle have the right of way.
19. What should you do if you hear a siren nearby, but you can't see where the emergency vehicle is?
pull over, stop, and wait until it passes.
20. How far before a turn must you signal?
21. When preparing for a right turn, should you stay as close to the center of the lane as possible?
22. Where should you position your vehicle when preparing to make a left turn from a two-way roadway into a one-way roadway?
Close to center line , turn into the left lane of the one way street.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT PASSING (7)
23.In most situations, on which side should you pass another vehicle going in the same direction?
The left side of the other vehicle.
24. What should you do before passing another vehicle?
use directional signals.
25. What should you see in your rear view mirror before attempting to return to the right lane after passing a vehicle on the left?
the bumper of the car being passed.
26. In what situations may you pass a vehicle on the right?
when another vehicle is making a left turn or on a one way road where not restricted.
27. When may you pass a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk to allow a pedestrian to cross.
28. What action should you take when another vehicle passes you on the left?
slow down, keep to right
29. What do flashing red lights on a school bus mean?
Stop before reaching the bus, at least 20 feet away.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT PARKING (6)
30. After you have parallel parked, how close to the curb must your vehicle be?
no more than one foot from curb
31. May you open a door on the road side of your vehicle if no traffic is coming?
yes if it will not interfere with traffic.
32. Before pulling out of a parking space, what should you do?
MAKE SURE WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT, back up to vehicle behind you, turn wheels away from curb. Check traffic go forward slowly clearing the vehicle ahead of you.
33. What does a NO STOPPING sign mean?
You may stop only to obey a traffic sign , signal of a Police Officer, or to avoid conflicts with other vehicles.
34. Can you stop to load or unload passengers at a NO STANDING or NO PARKING sign?
35. May you park on a crosswalk, in the middle of a block?
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT DEFENSIVE DRIVING (6)
36. Should you always look straight ahead when driving?
No - Keep your eyes moving
37. If there is no posted speed limit, what is the fastest you may legally drive in your state?
38. Is it always safe to drive at the posted speed limits?
39. What is the purpose of minimum speed limits?
To keep traffic flowing smoothly.
40. Who must wear seat belts? Who should wear them?
all passengers in from seat and all children under 10, are required but all should wear them.
41. How can you prevent fatigue on a long trip?
PLAN REST STOPS EVERY COUPLE OF HOURS, open window for fresh air,
stop for coffee or tea, donít drive for at least 15 minutes after waking from sleep.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT ALCOHOL AND OTHER DRUGS (11)
42. How does drunken driving rank as a highway safety problem?
43. What are the effects of alcohol on the skills you need to drive?
reduces all mental and physical skills needed.
44. Which of these drugs could affect your driving ability: marijuana, a cold remedy, a tranquilizer?
all of them.
45. If you are taking a nonprescription drug, what should you do before driving?
check label, ask doctor if not sure.
46. What is a likely effect of taking another drug while drinking alcoholic beverages?
the effect could be multiplied
47. On what factors does your blood alcohol content (BAC) depend?
how much youíve had to drink, how much time has passed, and your weight.
48. Which of these contains more alcohol than the other two: one ounce(30ml.) of 80 proof liquor, four ounces (120 ml.) of 24 proof wine, 12 ounces (360mL.) of beer?
all the same
49. How long does in take for your body to dispose of the alcohol contained in 12 ounces of beer?
about one hour
50. What is the only effective way to reduce your BAC?
through spending time not drinking.
51. What happens to your drivers license if you refuse a chemical test?
your license is suspended and or revoked.
52. Other than fines, action against your license and a possible jail term, what are some of the consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs?
death or injury to yourself your relatives or friends.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT SPECIAL DRIVING SITUATIONS (16)
53. What should you do if you miss an expressway exit?
get off at next exit.
54. What are expressway entrance ramps used for?
to accelerate up to expressway speed.
55. What should you do if an entrance ramp is very short?
wait for large gap in traffic , accelerate quickly.
56. When should you signal that you are exiting an expressway?
57. What should you check for after leaving an expressway?
speed limit signs and your speed.
58. Why is expressway driving different from ordinary driving?
high speed and heavy traffic
59. What is the main reason night driving is more difficult than daytime driving?
90% of your driving decisions are based on what you see. Night driving reduces the distance you can see ahead.
60. Driving within the range of your headlights means you should be able to stop your vehicle within about how many feet?
61. What should you do if head lights on an approaching vehicle make it hard for you to see?
flash your high beams at him, use road edge as guide until he passes
62. Is it best to keep your headlights on high beam or low beam in fog?
63. Which way should you turn your steering wheel to get out of a skid?
in the direction of the skid.
64. How should you use your brake pedal on a slippery road?
carefully and gently squeeze in slow steady strokes.
65. What is the most important rule to remember in any driving emergency?
66. What should you do if one of your tires blows out?
hold steering wheel firmly, ease off gas, get car under control, get off road.
67. What is the first thing you should do if your brakes fail?
pump the pedal, use emergency brake, down shift.
68. What should you do if your wheels drift off the pavement?
ease off gas, brake gently, ease steering wheel back onto pavement.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY ENCOUNTER ABOUT SHARING THE ROAD (9)
69. When children are nearby, what should you do before backing out of a driveway?
get out and check behind vehicle.
70. How can you identify a blind pedestrian to whom you must yield the right-of -way?
a guide dog, or a with or metallic cane.
71. Where must a pedestrian walk when there are no sidewalks?
walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
72. How should you approach a bicyclist?
with extreme caution
73. Must a bicyclist obey traffic laws and signs?
74. Where there is no bicycle lane, on what portion of the road must a bicyclist ride?
near the right curb of edge of the road.
75. What extra equipment must a bicycle have when used at night?
a head light visible from 500 feet and a tail light visible from 300 feet.
76. May motorcyclist ride three abreast in a single lane?
no, no more than 2
77. What does a slow moving vehicle emblem look like?
a reflective orange triangle.
The Sponsors providing the Banner Ads are here to keep the site free. They wish to thank you for visiting this site and hope that you will drive safely.